Ohio University Presidential Teacher; JPMorgan Chase & Co. Associate Professor of Finance
Sinan Gokkaya was awarded the JPMorgan Chase & Co. Professorship in Finance, a renowned honor which supports his teaching and research work.
- PhD, Finance, Mississippi State University, 2012
- MBA, University of Louisiana at Monroe, 2008
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, 2005
- Investment Research
- Mutual Funds
- Insider Trading
- Empirical Asset Pricing
- College of Business, Ohio University, August 2012-Current
- Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, May 2018- June 2019
- “Ties that bind: the value of professional connections to sell-side analysts”, Management Science, forthcoming
- "The Boss Knows Best: Directors of Research and Subordinate Analysts” with Daniel Bradley and Xi Liu, Journal of Financial And Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming.
- "Before an Analyst Becomes an Analyst: Does Industry Experience Matter?", with Daniel Bradley and Xi Liu, The Journal of Finance, forthcoming.
- “Are All Analysts Created Equal? Industry Expertise and Monitoring Effectiveness of Financial Analysts”, with Daniel Bradley, Xi Liu and Fei Xie, Journal of Accounting and Economics, forthcoming
- “The Persistence of Opportunistic Insider Trading”, with Brandon Cline and Xi Liu, Financial Management, forthcoming
- "Option Implied Volatilities and the Cost of Issuing Equity", with Andrew Fodor, Journal of Banking and Finance, 2015
- "Sales of Secondary Shares in SEOs: A Comparison Across Top Managers, Other Insiders, and Outsiders" with Mike Highfield, Financial Management, 2014
- Presidential Teacher, Ohio University, 2019-2022
- 5-year Research Impact Award, College of Business, 2018-2019
- Faculty Excellence in Graduate Teaching, College of Business, 2017-2018
- Teacher of the Year Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2018-2019
- Teacher of the Year Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2017-2018
- College of Business Faculty Excellence in Intellectual Contributions, 2016-2017
- Teacher of the Year Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2016-2017
- Ellsworth Holden Finance Faculty Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2016-2017
- Teacher of the Year Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2015-2016
- Ellsworth Holden Finance Faculty Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2015-2016
- Excellence in Teaching and Learning Award, College of Business, Ohio University, 2015-2016
- Outstanding Scholar Award, College of Business, Ohio University, 2014-2015
- Teacher of the Year Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2014-2015
- Senior Class Faculty Recognition Award, College of Business, Ohio University, 2014-2015
- The Wharton School-WRDS Outstanding Paper in Empirical Research, EFA 2014
- Teacher of the Year Award, Finance Department, Ohio University, 2013-2014
JPMorgan Chase & Co. Professorship in Finance
The JPMorgan Chase & Co. Professorship in Finance is awarded to faculty in the College of Business to teach graduate and undergraduate students in the area of financial services and provide scholarly leadership in this area for the benefit of the banking community throughout Ohio and the nation. The professor will also conduct relevant research on timely financial services issue and present and publish the results of this research for distribution to the banking community. They may consult with financial institutions on financial service and banking issues and provide leadership in corporate recruitment and placement of students into the banking industry and JPMorgan Chase & Co.
My practitioner oriented research focuses on sell-side and buy-side equity analysts, asset management and investment banking divisions as well as corporate finance and governance of public firms. My papers have been published in several elite and distinguished finance, accounting, and management journals, including The Journal of Finance, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Management Science, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Financial Management, and Journal of Banking and Finance. My research also got presented at numerous research institutions as well as governance agencies including The United States Securities and Exchange Commission, The Federal Reserve Bank in Washington, DC, International Monetary Fund and featured in media outlets such as The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Morningstar, CFA Digest Magazine, London School of Economics Business Review and various investment advisory service platforms.