- Ph.D., Management, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2008
- M.Sc., Technology and Innovation Management, University of Sussex, 2003
- B.Eng. (Hons.), Electronic Engineering, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, 2002
- Uzuegbunam, I., Ofem, B., & Nambisan, S. 2019. Do Corporate Investors Affect Entrepreneurs’ IP Portfolio? Entrepreneurial Finance and Intellectual Property in New Firms. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 43(4): 673-696. [FT 50 Journal, 2018 Impact Factor: 6.193] URL: https://doi.org/10.1177/1042258717738247
- Cumming, D.J., Johan, S., & Uzuegbunam, I. 2019. An Anatomy of Entrepreneurial Pursuits in Relation to Poverty. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, forthcoming. [2018 Impact Factor: 2.928, Equal authorship] URL: https://doi.org/10.1080/08985626.2019.1640475
- Ofem, B., Pathak, S., Taylor-Bianco, A., & Uzuegbunam, I. 2019. Too Tight to Move? How Cultural Norms and Stereotypes Regulate Imprinting in Hybrid Social Venturing. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, 2019 (1) [Equal authorship]
- Geringer, J.M., Pendergast, W.R., and Uzuegbunam, I. 2019. “Firm Internationalization and CEO Perceptions of International Business Education and Skills.” Journal of Human Resources and Adult Learning, 15(1), June (forthcoming).
- Uzuegbunam, A.O., & Uzuegbunam, I. 2018. Arm’s-Length or Give-and-Take? Gender Differences in the Relational Orientation of New Ventures in Sub-Saharan Africa. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 12(4): 522-541. [FT 50 Journal, 2018 Impact Factor: 2.956, Equal authorship] URL: https://doi.org/10.1002/sej.1301
- Uzuegbunam, I., Geringer, J.M., & Oberst, C. 2018. Creative Destruction Within and Across Countries: Do Culture and Connectedness Matter? Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, 2018 (1) [Top 10% of accepted papers] URL: https://doi.org/10.5465/AMBPP.2018.97
- Jolley, J., Uzuegbunam, I., & Glazer, J. 2018. TechGROWTH Ohio: Public Venture Capital and Rural Entrepreneurship. Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, 48(2): 14-22. URL: https://jrap.scholasticahq.com/article/3773-techgrowth-ohio-public-venture-capital-and-rural-entrepreneurship
- Fox, J., Pittaway, L., & Uzuegbunam, I. 2018.Simulations in Entrepreneurship Education: Serious Games and Learning through Gameplay. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, 1(1): 61-89. URL: https://doi.org/10.1177/2515127417737285
- Uzuegbunam, I., Liao, Y, Pittaway, L., & Jolley, J. 2017. Human Capital, Intellectual Capital, and Government Venture Capital. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, 6(3): 359-374. URL: https://doi.org/10.1108/JEPP-D-17-00008
- Uzuegbunam, I. 2016. Identity and Initial Structure in Inter-firm Alliances: A Social Identity Perspective. Management Decision, 54(4): 929-945. [2018 Impact Factor: 1.963] URL: https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-12-2014-0696
Awards, Grants, and Honors
- Nominee, Carolyn B. Dexter Award, AOM Conference, Boston MA, 2019
- Finalist, AOM International Management Division Best Paper in Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability Award, AOM Conference, Boston MA, 2019
- Ohio University – Honors Tutorial College Research Apprenticeship Award ($3000), 2019
- Finalist, Academy of Management (AOM) International Management Division HKUST Best Paper in Global Strategy Award, AOM Conference, Chicago IL, 2018
- Winner, Elevator Pitch Award – Emerging Trends in Entrepreneurial Finance Conference, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken NJ, 2018
- Winner, Best Emerging Researcher Award, Ohio University – Dept. of Management, 2018
- (2x) Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management Conference, 2018, 2019
- Finalist, Best Conference Paper Prize, Strategic Management Society (SMS) Sao Paulo, Brazil Conference, 2018
- (3x) Ohio University – College of Business Research Seed Grant Award ($3,000/year; $9,000 total) 2014, 2016, 2018
- Kauffman Foundation Travel Funding 2011, 2012; KFS Seat Sponsorship, 2012 - Present
- Finalist, 3E Innovative Entrepreneurship Education Competition, United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Conference (USASBE), 2011
- Honorable Mention, MBA Professor of the Year Award, University of Kentucky, 2010
- Winner, Best Discussant Award, Rensselaer’s Lally School Doctoral Workshop, 2007
- Winner, Best Paper Award in Innovation Track – Southern Management Meetings, 2006
- Nominee, Best Paper Award, Strategic Management Society (SMS) Conference, 2006
- (2x) Master Teaching Assistant Awards, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 2005, 2006
Dr. Ikenna Uzuegbunam is an Associate Professor of Strategy, Entrepreneurship and International Business (w/Tenure) and the Director of the One-Year MBA Program at Ohio University. Previously, he was an Assistant Professor at the University of Kentucky. He has earned teaching honors from the University of Kentucky MBA program, 3E Innovative Entrepreneurship Education Competition, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Ike’s research focuses on the forces and resources that impact innovation and entrepreneurship around the world. His papers on entrepreneurship, strategic partnerships, and innovation strategy have been published in several journals including Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development and Management Decision. His research has received several honors in elite academic conferences. Recent honors include: 2019 Nominee for the Carolyn B. Dexter Award for Best International Paper; 2019 Finalist for Academy of Management – International Management Division Best Paper in Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability Award; 2018 Finalist for the Academy of Management, International Management Division – HKUST Best Paper Award; and a 2018 Finalist for the Strategic Management Society Sao Paulo Conference Best Paper Prize. Furthermore, Ike won the Best Paper Pitch Award at the 2018 Emerging Trends in Entrepreneurial Finance Conference; and the 2018 Emerging Researcher Award in the Department of Management, College of Business, Ohio University.
His industry and consulting experience spans three continents and includes work in higher education, energy, medical devices, and the nonprofit sector. He is the founder and strategy director of Luno Ventures, LLC, a strategic advisory and venture management startup. Ike holds a B.Eng. (2.1. Honors) in electronic engineering from University of Nigeria, Nsukka, a M.Sc. in technology and innovation management from University of Sussex, and a Ph.D. from Rensselaer’s Lally School of Management.