- JD, Capital University Law School
- BS, Interpersonal Communication, Eastern Michigan University
Kelley Walton is an Assistant Professor of Instruction in Ohio University's Department of Sports Administration and the Program Director for Ohio University’s online Master of Athletic Administration. She is also an attorney and consultant with over ten years of legal and human resources experience in the Sport Industry. She received her bachelor’s degree from Eastern Michigan University and a Juris Doctor from Capital University Law School. Kelley worked for the Columbus Blue Jackets (National Hockey League) for its first 10 years of existence. Her first three years with the Blue Jackets were spent in the legal department. Her last seven years she served as the Director of Human Resources, overseeing the employment of 150+ full-time and 300+ part-time employees. During that time, she oversaw all efforts involved with recruiting, workers compensation, 401(k) administration, benefit administration, employee contracts, and employee evaluations. For all 10 years at the Blue Jackets, she oversaw all immigration efforts for the club.
- Instructor and Director, PMSA Program, Ohio University
- Owner, K Walton Consulting
- Kelley K. Walton, Attorney at Law
- Adjunct Professor, Capital University
- Vice President, Student Services, HRACO Human Resources of Central Ohio
- Adjunct Professor, The Ohio State University
- Director, Human Resources, Columbus Blue Jackets
- Human Resources
- Employment Law
- Careers in the Sport Industry
- Interscholastic Athletics
- Youth Sports
- Tiell, B. & Walton, K. Human Resources in Sports: A Managerial Approach. (2018) Burlington, MA. Jones & Bartlett.
- Ridpath, B. & Walton, K. Chapter 10: Contracts. In Lawrence, H. & Wells, M. Event Management Blueprint: Creating and Managing Successful Sports Events. (2015) Dubuque, Iowa. Kendall Hunt.
- McGlone, C., Lawrence, H. & Walton, K. Chapter 14: Event Staffing. In Lawrence, H. & Wells, M. Event Management Blueprint: Creating and Managing Successful Sports Events. (2015) Dubuque, Iowa. Kendall Hunt.
- The Sports Management Graduate Education Advantage, Sports Destination Management Magazine, May 23, 2014.
- Walton, K. (2013) Prepare for Opportunity: A Practical Guide for Applying for a Job in Sports. Dubuque, Iowa. Kendall Hunt.
Presentations & Awards
- National Sports Forum, Academic Session, Preparing Students for a Career in the Sport Industry. Walton, K. February 14, 2016. Portland, OR.
- Alliance for Sport Business Conference. Beyond the curriculum: Creating culture in an online sport business graduate education. Walton K. & Lawrence, H. March 2015. Athens, Ohio.
- World Association for Sport Management. Sport and Human Resources in the Global Market. Tiell, Bonnie & Walton, Kelley. October 2, 2014. Madrid, Spain.
- World Association for Sport Management. Lessons in International Relations and Sport Governance. Bonnie Tiell & Kelley Walton. October 3, 2014. Madrid, Spain.
- Ohio University, Learning Community, Guest Speaker, “Prepare for Opportunity,” advice on applying for jobs in sports industry. Fall 2014.
- Ohio State University, Masters of Labor & Human Resources Program, Panel Speaker re: Careers, Fall 2013.