My Fellowship Experience: Trevor Starcher (MSA '20)
Tuesday, October 16 2018 10:45am
Trevor Starcher (MSA '20) recaps his experience at Fenway Sports Management.
Corporate Partnerships and Special Events Associate at Fenway Sports Management (FSM)
- Creation and ideation behind more than 60 proposals for Boston Red Sox, Boston College, Liverpool F.C., Roush Fenway Racing, New England Sports Network (NESN), LRMR, MLBAM, and the Dell Technologies Championship
- Scheduled and managed the entertainment for over 30,000 fans at the 2017 AIG Fenway Hurling Classic
- Led the communication and served as the liaison between FSM and MLBAM
- Designed and pitched FSM’s five-year college football strategic outline to our executive team
- Updated and maintained the customer relationship management system, Microsoft Dynamics, to reflect over 120 partner conversations and deals
- Created the six-year outlook calendar for Special Events team
- Raised over $7,200 for the 2018 Boston Marathon as a member for the Red Sox Foundation Marathon Team
Practical Skills I Learned:
- Sponsorship sales process from ideation to proposal
- Planning, scheduling, and executing the operations of premier events
- Database management and maintenance with Microsoft Dynamics and Salesforce
- Prospecting and researching new and current partners
Other Intangible Skills I Learned:
- Communicating and coordinating projects across several departments working together to develop a final proposal
- Managing time and prioritizing projects while working for two different departments
- Client relations and fundraising
- Brainstorming innovative and measurable partnership ideas within a team
Advice for Undergraduate Students or Incoming Students:
Create lasting relationships with your colleagues and supervisors. At FSM, I was always excited for work because I enjoyed working for my supervisors and with my coworkers. The sports industry is very small, and those relationships will help you expand your network with other organizations. Specifically, my boss asked me to host clients and connections of his that held positions I aspire to have one day. He became a very influential person in my life, and we have stayed in contact, talking once a month about family, sports, work, and school. Additionally, I would advise working for someone that values your development, interests, and career.
My favorite memory from my time with FSM was working alongside my boss on the Biofreeze deal with the Boston Red Sox, NESN, WEEI, and MLBAM. This deal took about six months to complete from the initial touchpoint to a signed contract. The deal was very unique because it was across four different properties, and it will generate more than $2,000,000 over the next three years in a rare sponsorship category. My boss trusted me with the ideation and creation of the proposal and communication among FSM, Biofreeze, and MLBAM. For the partnership, Biofreeze received online and offline IP rights, bullpen signage, hospitality, retail and digital promotional campaigns, training room product implementation, and in-game TV and radio spots.