Human Resources Management
Impact culture. Build top talent.
Be equipped to determine human resource management strategies, improve organization health and longevity and deliver results. With the Human Resources Certificate at OHIO you will learn how to work effectively on project teams, succeed in complex assignments, and meet strategic and operational objectives. The Human Resources Certificate program is delivered by the Robert. D. Walter Center for Strategic Leadership.
The HR Certificate Program will prepare you with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in the human resources profession. Upon completion of the program you'll be able to:
- Understand the essential roles and responsibilities of human resource professionals.
- Learn to manage employee relations, compensation, and performance management.
- Become familiar with human resource-related laws and compliance and liability issues.
- Develop strategies for recruiting the best employees as well as training and development.
With a Human Resources Certificate, you will be prepared to pursue career paths including: talent acquisition, employee relations, talent management, labor relations, compensation & benefits, human resources management and training.
Admission to the HR Certificate Program is competitive. Applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.2 or higher. Students from both within and outside the College of Business are welcome to apply. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the academic year.
The Human Resources Management Certificate program consists of 15 credit hours including four required courses and one elective course. The coursework incorporates practical, hands-on experiential exercises and activities.
- MGT 3300 - Introduction to Human Resource Management
- MGT 3400 – Organizational Behavior
- MGT 4300 – Employee Relations
- MGT 4370 – Strategic Talent Management
Recommended: Attend one certificate workshop per semester.
Electives (choose one of the following):
- MGT 3500 – Organizational Effectiveness
- MGT 4580 – Managing Organizational Change
- MGT 4590 – Strategic Leadership
- COMS 2040 – Principles and Techniques of Interviewing
- COMS 3500 – Introduction to Organizational Communication
- PSY 3610 – Survey of Organizational and Industrial Psychology
- SOC 4330 – Sociology of Work
Meet Business Bobcat Alumna: Kate Clausen '16
“Ohio University helped me find my calling in Human Resources. I was able to develop my professional expertise, hands-on training, and leadership skills that I needed to succeed. My involvement in the college as the founder and leader of the Society for Human Resource Management only added to my experience and development. I was able to network with industry professionals, hear from guest speakers, and meet other students with similar career interests. The supportive network of faculty in the program have helped me at every turn of my career, and I am incredibly grateful for that as an alumna."