The future is data-driven — boost your skills and competencies in BA and get hands-on experience in predictive and prescriptive statistical tools
Business analytics refers to the knowledge, skills, and competencies required for the systematic exploration and investigation of business data using statistical tools to support decision making and to gain insight into business performance.
There is a growing demand for analytics professionals in the workplace. The need for talented analytics professionals is outpacing the rate at which students are earning degrees in higher education.
OHIO's College of Business offers this minor to help students develop the skills and competencies in business analytics. The minor provides students with hands-on experience of statistical tools used in the business environment using data supplied by industry partners.
Courses in Business Analytics Minor
All students complete these two courses:
- QBA 1720 - Introduction to Information Analysis and Descriptive Analytics
Introduces students to information analysis and descriptive analytics. Students critically analyze business problems and develop high-quality information designs that inform and support management decisions using personal computer software tools.
- QBA 2720 - Business Analytics
Teaches students how to apply problem-solving processes to business situations, think critically and analytically, and understand how to analyze the internal and external environments of business organizations.
Students finish the minor by choosing and completing three elective courses:
- MIS 2800 - Business Intelligence and Information Management
Provides an introduction to database terminology, design, development, the querying of databases, Business Intelligence and the management of information to solve complex business problems.
- MIS 4580 - Advanced Business Intelligence
Students will work with the data modeling, processing, and computation techniques to remove these barriers. Utilizing software commonly used to process “all data,” students will understand how to address the volume, velocity, and variety of data that businesses face to today.
- QBA 3720 - Predictive Analytics
Predictive analytics is a form of analysis that aims to discover trends or patterns within datasets. The mathematical relationships that are found are used to make proactive data-driven decisions. Students utilize major software tools that are commonly used in business to develop, test, and apply continuous, classification and clustering models.
- QBA 4720 - Prescriptive Analytics
Prescriptive analytics uses multiple techniques that recommend which course of action a decision maker should take within a business environment. Students will conduct an analysis of assignment, transportation, and network models as well as investigate other business scenarios that require additional theories such as integer and goal programming.
- OHIO's business analytics minor is offered by the College of Business (COB) at Ohio University
- The minor's program code is OR6158
- The business analytics minor is earned after completing 15 hours of course work
- Freshman/First-Year Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements
- Change of Program Policy: No selective or limited admission requirements
- External Transfer Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements
Complete course information is available in the Undergraduate Catalog. This includes Repeat/Retake Information, Grades, Requisites, Warnings, and more. Review the catalog and talk with your academic advisor — or an advisor in the Allen Student Advising Center — as you consider this minor.
CORE COURSES - COMPLETE BOTH FOR 6 HOURS
- QBA 1720 - Intro to Information Analysis and Descriptive Analytics; Credit Hours: 3
- QBA 2720 - Business Analytics; Credit Hours: 3
ELECTIVE COURSES - COMPLETE THREE FOR 9 HOURS
- MIS 2800 - Business Intelligence and Information Management; Credit Hours: 3
- MIS 4580 - Advanced Business Intelligence; Credit Hours: 3
- QBA 3720 - Predictive Analytics; Credit Hours: 3
- QBA 4720 - Prescriptive Analytics Credit Hours: 3
Two core courses (6 hours) + three elective courses (9 hours) = business analytics minor
DID YOU KNOW?
THREE NOTES FROM AN ADVISOR
- Most students complete this minor within four semesters.
- This business analytics minor provides a comprehensive experience that is meaningful to career opportunities — and since the minor can be completed quickly, even juniors can still knock this out, adding BA to their skills set.
- Scripps College of Communication students in the strategic communication major may like the added value and perspective this minor brings to their digital and social media curriculum and experiences.
The College of Business offers this minor to help students develop the skills and competencies in business analytics. To declare the minor, students should go to their college's student services area. Students who have questions about the courses and what the minor is all about are invited to request more information.
As stated above, the demand for talented analytics professionals is outpacing the rate at which students are earning degrees in higher education.
William Young, Ph.D., an O'Bleness Associate Professor of Business Analytics, Director of the Master of Business Analytics, and Director of the Online MBA oversees OHIO's business analytics minor along with Gabe Giordano, Ph.D., Chair of the College of Business's Analytics and Information Systems Department and a named Robert H. Freeman Associate Professor.