Learn to understand consumer behavior and drive demand/adoption in a competitive marketplace
The marketing minor allows students across disciplines and majors with complementary skills and interests to gain specific knowledge and experience leading to a more rounded education and increased marketability for employment.
The marketing minor will equip you with the skills to understand the principles of marketing, consumer behavior, and professional selling. Then, customize your minor with a specialization by selecting two electives.
Courses in Marketing Minor
Students must complete one of the following courses:
- MKT 2020 - Marketing Principles
Provides a broad understanding of marketing activities, decisions, and terms with an emphasis on the practices and problems of marketing managers and the analysis of the marketing environment.
- MKT 2400 - Introduction to Marketing Management
Provides an introductory coverage of topics in marketing. Offers an early focus on the elements of the marketing mix to assist students when they take the integrated cluster. Also includes specific assignments designed to enhance COB majors’ understanding of marketing activities and strategies.
All students complete these two courses:
- MKT 3580 – Foundations of Professional Sales
Combines personal selling theory with actual practice. Students learn skills needed for successful careers in sales and marketing.
- MKT 3020 - Consumer Marketing
This course provides a broad understanding of marketing principles particularly as they relate to marketing to consumers. Students will learn how to adapt the marketing mix to effectively reach consumers. Consumer research and environmental factors will also be addressed.
Students finish the minor by completing two elective courses:
- Eligible classes are included lower on this webpage
- OHIO's marketing minor is offered by the College of Business (COB)
- The minor's program code is OR6127
- The marketing minor is earned after completing 15 hours of course work
- Freshman/First-Year Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements
- Change of Program Policy: No selective or limited admission requirements
- External Transfer Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements
Complete course information is available in the Undergraduate Catalog. This includes Repeat/Retake Information, Grades, Requisites, Warnings, and more. Review the catalog and talk with your academic advisor — or an advisor in the Allen Student Advising Center — as you consider this minor.
CORE COURSE - COMPLETE ONE FOR 3 HOURS
- MKT 2020 - Marketing Principles; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 2400 - Introduction to Marketing Management; Credit Hours: 3
CORE COURSES - COMPLETE BOTH FOR 6 HOURS
- MKT 3580 - Foundations of Professional Sales; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 3020 - Consumer Marketing; Credit Hours: 3
ELECTIVE COURSES - COMPLETE TWO FOR 6 HOURS
- MKT 3440 - Consumer Research; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 3600 - Entrepreneurial Sales; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 3790 - Marketing Research; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4040 - Logistics and Supply Chain Management; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4100 - Sustainability Marketing; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4200 - Services Marketing; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4250 - Business to Business Marketing; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4300 - Digital Marketing and Sales Strategies; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4410 - International Marketing; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4500 - Management of Promotion; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4550 - Achieving Customer Satisfaction and Service Excellence; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4580 - Sales Management; Credit Hours: 3
- MKT 4900 - Special Topics in Marketing; Credit Hours: 3
Three core courses (9 hours) + two elective courses (6 hours) = marketing minor
DID YOU KNOW?
THREE NOTES FROM AN ADVISOR
- Some students complete this minor in two semesters.
- Two courses are available online: MKT 2020 and MKT 3020.
- Interest in a marketing minor has consistently been expressed by College of Business students, students in most schools in the Scripps College of Communication, and students enrolled in OHIO's Patton College of Education.
The marketing minor is available to all Ohio University undergraduate students. To declare this minor, go to your college student service office and ask for a declaration of major/minor form. Use the Request More Information button for help locating your college student service office.