Sports Administration Minor
You can stand out in today’s complex, global, and competitive sports industry
Sports administration is an applied field of study based on the integration of the special nature of sport endeavors and management theory, and administrative principles applied to sport involvement.
The minor in sports administration at Ohio University is designed to provide you with the academic preparation and practical training required for success in or working with the sport industry. Stand out by demonstrating an understanding of the integration of the special nature of sports and management theory from a premier sport management program.
Courses in Sports Administration Minor
Students must complete one of the following courses:
- SASM 1001 - Inside the Business of Sports
This course introduces students to the growing field of sport and its industry. Students learn about the industry, what sport is, who the key organizations are, how athletes develop, and basic administrative aspects. Specific discussions around the special aspects or elements of the sport business will be highlighted and endorsed by experts (via video). The purpose of the course is introduce sport management to an audience of non-business students.
- SASM 1010 - Introduction to Sport Management
Introduction to the multiple facets of the sport industry. The knowledge gained in this course will provide a foundation for the future study of the industry.
All students complete this one course:
- SASM 2250 - History of the Sport Industry
Examines the origin and development of the sport industry in America from the 19th century to the present.
Students finish the minor by completing elective courses:
- Eligible classes are included lower on this webpage
- The sports administration minor is offered by the College of Business (COB) at Ohio University
- The minor's program code is OR6150
- This sports business-focused minor is earned after completing 15 hours of course work
- Freshman/First-Year Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements
- Change of Program Policy: No selective or limited admission requirements
- External Transfer Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements
Complete course information is available in the Undergraduate Catalog. This includes Repeat/Retake Information, Grades, Requisites, Warnings, and more. Review the catalog and talk with your academic advisor — or an advisor in the Allen Student Advising Center — as you consider this minor.
CORE COURSES - COMPLETE ONE FOR 3 HOURS
- SASM 1001 - Inside the Business of Sports; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 1010 - Introduction to Sport Management; Credit Hours: 3
CORE COURSE - COMPLETE THIS ONE FOR 3 HOURS
- SASM 2250 - History of the Sport Industry; Credit Hours: 3
ELECTIVE COURSES - COMPLETE TOTAL OF 9 HOURS
- BUSL 4650 - Law of Sports; Credit Hours: 3
- MGT 3580 - Foundations of Festivals, Events, and Entertainment; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 3010 - Sport Marketing; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 3120 - Sports Governance and Ethics; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 3220 - Leadership in Sport Management; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 3300 - Organization & Administration of Interscholastic Athletics; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4300 - Intercollegiate Athletics; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 3500 - External Relations in Sports; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 3760 - Sport Facility and Event Management; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4000 - Diversity and Sport; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4010 - Advanced Event Management; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4020 - Advanced Facility Management; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4110 - International Sport Management; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4140 - Business of eSports; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4200 - Introduction to Sport Analytics; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4350 - Sport Promotion and Sales Management; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4400 - Sport Ticket Sales and Systems; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4450 - Marketing and Revenue Streams in Sport Management; Credit Hours: 3
- SASM 4900 - Special Topics in Sports Administration/Sports Management; Credit Hours: 1+
- SASM 4915 - Sport Management Expedition; Credit Hours: 1-6
Two core courses (6 hours) + elective courses (9 hours) = sports administration minor